Friday, June 25, 2010

Finding a Pregnancy-Friendly Job

It's weird how everything changes once you're pregnant.  I have to find a new job because my part-time job at Sam's Club involves TONS of heavy lifting, which I am not allowed to do while pregnant.  The job search is a little more difficult because I have a lot more things to consider - is the job flexible?  Will I be able to go to my doctor appointments?  Will I be able to do the work when I'm 9 months pregnant?  Will I be around dangerous chemicals?  Will I have to be on my feet all day?  Will it be a problem if I would like to have a few weeks off after my baby is born?  There are so many things to consider that I never even thought of before. 

I had an interview at Starbucks today, which in theory sounds like it would be a good job, but now I'm concerned about little things like cleaning bathrooms with industrial strength chemicals and being on my feet all day.  On top of that, they only pay $7.33 an hour which is maybe not enough once there's a baby in the picture.  And, they prefer it if you try all of the drinks so you can describe them to customers.  I can't drink coffee because of the caffeine, so that doesn't really work.  The insurance sounds good, on the other hand.  It's better than the insurance we have now, and it costs a lot less, which would be nice and maybe make up for the low wages. 

Tuesday, I have an interview at a life insurance company, which I'm guessing is more of a desk job, which would be preferable during pregnancy.  However, I did sales before, and I find it rather stressful, which isn't ever good for the baby.  We'll see, I guess.  This whole job thing is weighing on my mind a lot more than I thought it would be, but money is tight right now, and we're going to need a lot more of it soon.  Ideally, I'd like to find somewhere where I can work 8 hours a day, 3-4 days a week.  It'd be nice to have evenings and weekends off again and have a set schedule.  I've applied for a few jobs that fit this description, and now I'm hoping I'll get one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment